2012-13 School Year Programs Recap
- ESC welcomed 40 sailors to its School Year Programs, August-May
- ESC hosted its 13th U.S. Junior Olympic Sailing Regatta
- ESC continued to support the sailing program at FGCU
- ESC hosted students from the Quality Life Center regularly for kayaking and sailing fun
- ESC invited guest coaches from around the state to work with its racing team and sailors
- ESC collaborated with St. MIchael Lutheran School, Grades 6-8, and Science Educator, Katie Schlotterbeck, in a pilot STEM program called Project REACH and taught Safe Powerboat Handling to all 7th grade students
- ESC worked with two Sea Scout troops
- ESC hosted a Level 1 Small Boat Instructor course from US Sailing and a US Sailing Regional Symposium
- ESC was invited to be a test site for the USCG National Powerboat Standards
- ESC appreciates CMCS's ongoing support of youth sailing initiatives throughout SW Florida, and summer scholarships for students who would not otherwise be able to learn to sail
- ESC thanks FMSC's support of youth sailing through its annual River District Regatta
ESC also wishes to express its sincere thanks to the members of the Board of Directors for their guidance and support throughout the year, and to the families of its sailors who offer their time and talents to grow ESC's programs!
ESC, home of the River Romp Regatta - a U.S. Junior Olympic Sailing Regatta - is pleased to announce its dates for the 2014 calendar year: October 18-19, 2014.
We look forward to welcoming back many of our youth sailors to the 2013 event, October 19 & 20. Remember to lock-in your hotel reservations with our preferred hotels: the Best Western Waterfront and Legacy Harbour.
And while we look forward to our annual event, we want to welcome Clearwater Community Sailing Center as the newest Junior Olympic venue - beginning 2013! Please support your Florida regatta sites!
US SAILING AWARDS
US Sailing Awards Past Commodore Glen Vetter of CMCS and Summerset Regatta Chairman Steve Romaine the 2012 Outstanding Organizational Support and their continued efforts on behalf of youth sailing.
ESC Director Ross Webb receives US Sailing's award for Outstanding Outreach & Inclusion.
These national awards were presented during the 2013 US Sailing National Symposium in Clearwater, FL.
US Sailing announced changes to its Small Boat Training programs -
Level I Small Boat Instructors - remember to recertify with US Sailing online.
Acquiring a Level 2 certification is much simpler to achieve : it is a 2-day certification workshop. Once you complete Level 2, if you wish, you may move to one of two tracks: Instructor-Director track or a Coach Track. US Sailing has ramped up its training in such a way that you can earn either a Director's certification or a Coach Certification. The two higher levels, along with an Academy for each, have been designed to allow both online and face time access.
If you have specific questions, you are encouraged to contact the (new) training manager: [CristenSchifino(at)ussailing(dot)org] (401) 683-8000 ext644
Please feel free to share this update with other Level I instructors. This relates to the Sailing side of training.